Part-time employees of Walmart enjoy several medical and financial benefits that full-time employees get.
However, as with any other organization, most of the perks are entitled to full-time employees.
Let us discuss what Walmart’s hourly pay rates and benefits are with current offers for part-time employees.
Walmart Part-time Employees
Walmart part-time employees or part-time associates are those who perform partial duty hours for the company in different roles.
Part-time associates differ from contract employees who may or may not work full-time. They are also categorized differently from hourly paid workers.
Your job contract will state the exact job title and contract type. It will also specify your job entitlements and employee benefits.
For example, part-time employees at Walmart are eligible for medical plans and health insurance coverage plans.
However, part-time employees are not eligible for some dependent coverage plans in medical, dental, and vision plans, and critical illness and accident insurance categories.
Some basic employee benefits are common for all types of Walmart employees though.
Average Hourly Rates for Walmart Part-time Employees
Walmart’s average hourly working rates largely depend on the job title and role rather than contract type.
According to Payscale.com, the average hourly rate for Walmart employees is $ 13.25 per hour. The highest hourly pay rates at Walmart are reported for Pharmacist staff with an average rate of $ 56.34.
The lowest hourly rates at Walmart are reported for host/hostesses at $10.90. So, the average hourly rate for most employees at Walmart ranges from $ 10.99 to $21.39.
Although it is not reported officially by Walmart, we can also expect a similar hourly rate for these categories for part-time associates.
The average hourly rate of $13.25 may apply to all types of employees at Walmart.
The average salaried rate for Walmart employees is $ 21.39. However, like any other organization, the hourly rate for salaried employees would depend on the job title, experience, and contract type.
Walmart employees’ average bonus amount is $3,000 per year. For lower-tier employees like sales associates and pharmacy technicians, the bonus amount ranges around $270 and $520 respectively.
Benefits for Walmart Part-Time Employees
Walmart conducts an annual employee enrollment program for benefits, bonuses, and insurance coverage programs.
You must be enrolled in the Walmart enrollment database to qualify for these benefits for the current year.
Walmart part-time employees receive different types of medical, insurance, and additional coverage programs yearly.
Some of the major employee benefits for part-time employees include:
- HMO plans
- Dental (enrollment is for two full calendar years)
- Critical illness insurance
- Accident insurance
- Business travel accident insurance
- Resources for Living
- Optional associate life insurance
- Optional dependent life insurance
Both part-time and full-time employees at Walmart must enroll and complete the eligibility criteria to claim these benefits.
Walmart sets an appraisal period of 60 days for part-time associates.
Here are a few guidelines for part-time associates:
- Part-time associates must work for an average of 30 hours per week over 60 days.
- Part-time hourly pharmacists, nurse practitioners, and field Supply Chain associates must work an average of 24 hours per week.
- Once eligible, part-time employees must enroll for medical and other benefits within 60 days.
- Enrolled part-time employees will need to register once in a calendar year.
- The employee benefits effective date will be the 1st day of the month after 89 days of enrollment by the employee.
Part-time associates can only enroll once a year for medical benefit plans. However, they are automatically registered and become eligible for some non-medical benefits.
Financial Benefits for Part-Time Employees at Walmart
Part-time and full-time associates at Walmart receive excellent financial benefits on top of their basic salaries and hourly wages as well.
Here are a few highlights of financial benefits for Walmart employees:
- 401(k) match up to 6% of the employee’s basic salary. Part-time associates are eligible for 401(k) plans after one year.
- 10% discount on purchases from Walmart stores on most items including fruits and vegetables.
- A matching plan for employee stock purchase plan for all associates.
- Walmart offers Roth IRA plans as well.
- Advance pay for associates through Walmart’s Even Application.
- Discounts on travel, entertainment, and different goods and services.
- Special gym membership plans at $9 through Walton fitness pass.
- We are supporting the educational needs of employees with the “$1 a day” plan.
- No-cost counseling sessions and access to virtual doctors for no extra cost.
Also, Walmart associates can enjoy different paid and sick leave plans. For example, it grants birth moms 16 weeks of paid maternity leave.
Both parents get a paid leave of 6 weeks for new birth, foster child adoption, and foster-care placement.
Dependent and Spouse Support for Walmart Part-time Employees
Part-time employees at Walmart can enroll in most medical and insurance coverage plans for themselves. However, they are not entitled to enroll their spouses in these programs generally.
Additional insurance and medical coverage plans are available for all employees for their families, dependents, and spouses.
However, part-time employees can only enroll their children and dependents but not their spouses.
For example, Optional Dependent Life Insurance plans offer three tiers of insurance coverage for children of part-time employees $5,000, $10,000, and $20,000.
If a part-time employee enrolls for a life insurance plan above $5,000, the employee must bring proof of good health for the dependent or children.
Accidental death and dismemberment (AD&D) insurance
Walmart’s part-time associates are eligible for AD&D insurance plans as well. However, they can only enroll children but not spouses if they choose the coverage plan for their families as well.
Employees can choose a plan for the following amounts:
$25,000, $100,000, $50,000, $150,000, $75,000, $200,000.
Health and Wellness Benefits
Walmart also offers health and wellness benefits to all of its employees. These plans are different and offered separately from the medical and insurance plans listed above.
For example, healthcare coverage plans at Walmart start at $30 per pay period for its employees. Also, they enjoy 100% preventive care for a lifetime with no maximum limits.
Walmart offers additional healthcare reimbursement plans from $300 to $1,000 matching and a health savings account with a match of $700 for eligible employees.
References for Research Work: